Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Safari Time

This past weekend we went on a safari to Mikumi National Park! It was pretty much the best thing we’ve done so far. I saw zebras, warthogs, buffalo, wildebeests, hippos, monkeys, elephants, and about a thousand giraffes. Unfortunately no lions or cheetahs this time, but there’s always the Serengeti! You all just let me know when you’re coming to visit and I’ll start planning the trip (and don’t forget to pack your hiking boots because we are climbing Kilimanjaro). So yes, it was great to say the least!

In other news I’ve determined that I am the beast in Disney classic Beauty and the Beast. I realized this the other day when I was brushing my teeth in our backyard like I do every morning. I heard the typical ‘mzungu’ shouts as soon as I entered the yard and felt the stares of all the neighborhood kids. They literally stop what they’re doing (ie playing, sweeping, walking to school/the market) to watch me. It then dawned on me that this was a similar scene in Beauty and the Beast when he yells, “So you’ve come to stare at the beast”…then I couldn’t stop giggling to myself.

This week my fellow village trainees and I decided we want to cook American food for my family. We decided this, of course, PRIOR to actually checking out the local fare and determining a menu. We’re still working on what food/ingredients we can actually get, and then we have to figure out how to prepare this feast using our charcoal ‘stove’. So basically this is me, an open flame, and a mission to prepare a delicious meal for about 8 family members, myself, and 4 other trainees. I’m sure I’ll have more stories for you all on how this actually pans out.

2 comments:

AMT said...

"So you've come to stare at the beast!"...Dude, I can hear it in my head in the Beast voice. Too funny.

Also, as I was typing this I literally just got your birthday text. It was so sweet, thank you for remembering! (I would respond via text but I'm afraid what text rates to Africa would be).

I love you and I miss you so much...is it 2010 yet?

Whitney said...

your blogs are hilarious! thinking of you all and hope all is well.

Whitney