Thursday, September 11, 2008

Public Speaking Was Never My Forte



My loving host family threw me and my friends a going away party the day before we left. Probably about half of the village was there, including the village officials. The celebration was a huge event in my village and marked an important event in the PCT/PCV's life...

unfortunately I had a bad case of 'harisha'...for those too lazy to look it up that means 'the runs'. I laid in bed all afternoon and evening in pain listening to the party outside. My family did ask me to come out momentarily and I reluctantly agreed. When I emerged outside I say the entire village and the village officially waiting for me to come and take a seat with my friends at the front of the 'stage'. Good. Then the village officials proceeded to tell everyone that they were sorry that I had harisha, but glad I was able to make it outside. This was followed by several "pole, catherine"s from the crowd. After the officials gave their speeches about us my friends told me that I needed to give a speech myself (they had done there's while I was laying crippled in bed). I stood up and addressed the entire crowd, thanking them for the opportunity for training in their village, thanking my host family for everything and telling them about my hopes for the future. I took my seat again and my friend leaned over and said, "Did you just give a speech with toilet paper in your hand?". I looked down and was able to confirm that. Good. I now know I will be remembered in the village as "Catherine, the girl who had harisha".

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Sorry about your ailment, you look absolutely lovely in that picture though. Even if you feel bad, being pretty helps! Right? I miss you so world.