Sunday, June 22, 2008

Two Weeks

It's been two weeks now since burgers and fries...and I love Africa! I'm the typical "mzungu" that sticks out like...well... I'm sure you can imagine. I can't carry water on my head yet, but don't worry...in time I'll be a pro. My host family rocks and they make fun of me all the time. They all speak english so I've really gotten to know them well. They are so kind and loving. They killed a chicken for me the first night I was there for dinner, which is a big deal. I learned how to wash my clothes and the dishes today, and all the neighbors came to stand outside and watch me do it. Everyone is really friendly! My family feeds me entirely too much because they want me to be fat like my grandma (I showed them a picture of her one day). They said I need to be "big and strong" when I return to America...so don't be suprised if I look like Queen Latifa when I come back. I'm learning more and more kiswahili everyday...but everyone just laughs when I try to speak. I'm already a dirty hippie and proud of it. All the kids love and are a little scared of the "mzungus" in town. The other day I was playing a game I like to call "run away from the freakish mzungu ogre"...which basically meant I chased the neighbor girls around while they screamed and laughed. Good times! I hope to write more in a few weeks!

Kwa Heri!

-Catherine

No comments: