Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Am Paris Hilton



...and I wonder why they laugh...In my defense the neon green high heels are not mine.
The past few weeks have been pretty busy here. I’m teaching English now to the Secondary School to the Form 1 students (freshmen essentially). I really feel this is where I’m able to utilize my language skills and impress these students with fluency and grace. Usually I end up standing in front of the class staring at the students, begging them to answer my questions. I start by saying "Anyone?.....Anyone?" and eventually move on to "Bueller?...Bueller?" At least I make myself laugh. The students are really great though and starting to relax and talk more in class and ask me questions about the States. Most commonly asked question..."Is there ugali in America?"
Since I’ve been so successful in all the other aspects of my life I decided that I would add to my list of achievements and hone my culinary skills. I debated heavily which feast I would prepare…and I opted for beans. I figured beans couldn’t be that hard. Light a jiko. Put some beans in a pot. Add some water. Wait half a day. Done. I followed these steps religiously to ensure optimal bean cooking. Hours later I stirred the pot, added a little salt, and considered these things done. Piling them high on my plate of rice I took my first bite and decided that culinary school is not in my future. Even my dog wouldn’t eat my beans.So cooking isn't my specialty but I try to tell my friends here that I am an amazing cook at home with a microwave.
Life is good...:)

No comments: