Sunday, October 12, 2008

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach...well I'm screwed

So cooking's going well! The other day my best friend in the village wasn't feeling well and since she cooks for me practically everyday I thought I would return the favor. Bound and determined to have eatable rice and beans I started the jiko and got to cooking. To make both of these dishes you simply add water. Wait. Add more water. Wait. And when you've pretty much tapped out the village supply of water on one meal, you add one last bucketful of water, and wait. 4 hours later the beans were still hard and the rice had a crunch to it. Good. I can't wait until I move on to desserts. There is no WAY this could go wrong.

I was doing laundry the other day and came to a couple new revelations! First I've decided that REI has the most amazing underwear ever. Seriously. I want to give a shoutout the the makers of the 6-week, bacteria-resistant, easy clean, quick-dry underwear because it is a gift from God. I have never been so thunderstruck by a pair of underwear before! (I did, in fact, just use the word thunderstruck). It has EASILY cut my laundry time down from 2 hours of intense scrubbing, rinsing, and hanging to a mere hour and 50 minutes! I haven't even tested out its ability to be worn for 6 weeks without washing...but you needn't worry, that will come later! The other revelation I had has inspired me to write a book. While looking at my size Small t-shirts that have now grown to X-Large I decided that I am going to parallel David Sedaris's book Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim except that mine will be called Dress Your Family In Spandex and Lycra...because it's definitely needed here. Look for my book in stores next year.

Another product endorsement....Venus Razor. 2 months of leg hair growth. One razor. Smooth legs. Need I say more? I pretty much tell everyone here about this razor. I'm convinced at this point it can cut through anything. I'll test this theory out next time I'm chopping fire wood. I'm wondering if Gillette will send me free blades for this...just an idea.

Other update: I smell. I mean, there's just no way around it. I tried to feign that it wasn't me...but it is. I mean, it's not JUST me...but I'm definitely not excluded.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm....what else? I've been telling my villagers all about the amazing garden I'm going to have. I haven't actually started doing anything yet, but in my mind it will be incredible! I'm talking 12 foot tall corn stalks. Maybe I'll have a corn maze. This could get interesting. I'll be sure to post.

Hope things are going well back in the States! I'm sending in my absentee ballot and looking forward to the election!

-Catherine

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Catherine! This here is your cousin Laurie. Dan and Cheryl's kid. (ha ha) My mother told me about your blog and i must say you are so funny! You always have me coming back here to see whats new. I could not imagine being in Africa, thats just crazy to me. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself, well, for the most part! Do you have an address i can write you at? How is Matt doing? How are your parents?

I'm not sure if my parents told you or if your parents told you but i got married 2 years ago in November. It does'nt seem that long though. No kids yet though. Not right now anyways!! ha ha! My mom has added a few new additions to the family though. She just adopted two kids in April of this year i believe. (I can't keep track! ha ha.) I think she plans on adopting two more! She's nuts God love her! I really don't know how she does it.

Well hun, I will let you go. Get back to me on that address. Good luck there in Africa and be safe!

Sincerly,
Laurie

wyvernforkhead said...

hey Catherine! Thanks for posting and letting us know all about your hygiene. I mean...you've really relieved everyone's mind. Just kidding. I'm so glad you're having a blast and saving the world at the same time. It's good to know that you'll never change though. :) How about if I send you some instant mashed potatoes and hot dogs? I think you could come up with a fabulous meal with those two items. Oh, and I'll send you some Little Debbie cakes with it...you know dessert is the best part of a meal. I'm definitely sitting up typing a paper at five thirty in the morning. It's days like today that make me actually want to drop out of school and be a beach bum bartender in St. Thomas. Oh, that's my newest ambition. I think my parents will be more proud of their college grad bartending daughter if she lives far-far away in a sexy and exotic location. I'm definitely rambling, sorry. This is actually what my paper is starting to sound like. My professor should get a good laugh out of it anyway, which is good because it's already two days late. Anyway...I'll stop now. Love you and miss you like crazy, hope everything stays fantastic. XOXO! I realize that's cheesy, but I never know how to end blogs.

Anonymous said...

You better have voted for McCain! ;)
HAHA!
I hope you are having a blast!
School pretty much sucks. I'm definitely looking forward to 2 upper level history classes next quarter!
And I have to say, I've been trying to polish my cooking skills too and it's struggling. I burned some chicken the other night... but in my defense I wasn't cooking it and I was washing dishes! HAHA!
I'll try sending a post card sometime soon.... or just a picture of me because I know you're dying out there without being able to see me!

Your loving cousin,
Jasilyn

Anonymous said...

Catherine - I laughed out loud! I must get some of those panties!!!! Thanks for keeping us updated! Good luck with the Garden and Cooking!!!

Love
CArol Ann